Friday 9 May 2008

Another good chat with Simon Stewart

Simon is a bit superstitious about  "putting it all out there" so let's apologize in advance to any blog-hating deities and assure them no offense is intended  :-)

Anyway, he is his usual cautious self - things are going well at the moment he says, (a picture of rude health I am)  but of course his experience leads him to not predict the future too optimistically.  Red blood cells and white blood cells are massively depleted by Chemo.  However red blood cells have a far longer life than white, so that the major issue next week could be infection (Anemia may arise later at radiotherapy, so much so that transfusions may be needed).  The major sources of infection are the bacteria that live on me already, so personal hygiene is a must.  I also get prophylactic antibiotics (to take anyway) and if there is any sign of infection (high temperature, shivering, shakiness) I have to get straight to Casualty.  Rampant Bacteria in my blood producing toxins will not be good for kidneys, lungs etc.  1 in 20 patients like me can expect some infection.  A small chance, and something I am confident I shall be able to escape.  But forewarned is forearmed.

When I spoke of Lance Armstrong's book (different cancer of course) Simon started to recommend John Diamond's books but then changed his mind and thought I could wait awhile before reading those  :-)   (John died)

All in all a positive chat, Nicki was here too and she had a few questions about infection risks from crowds, cats, trains, buses etc.;  Simon was clear though: the major infection risk is from the bacteria that live in me and on me.

Hopefully Simon will consent to a small video interview, summing up the journey so far before I leave here on Monday afternoon.



No comments: