Thursday 17 July 2008

And.....

It is not that we should be collaborating more, and are in competition, it is a question of realisation.  In actual fact we collaborate enormously.  We are not isolated. 

The cake is collaboration and the competition is just tiny swirls in the icing on the top.  Her icing swirl is higher than his icing swirl.  But the cake, the cake itself is all co-operation and collaboration.

I cannot afford a doctor or a therapist to myself.  Thank you all the other patients and clients who are co-operating with me to share the doctor & therapist. Thanks to everyone else who buys electricity, and water.   Thanks to the tube passengers who share my journey (and the cost of my journey).   I cannot do it alone.  

etc. etc.

We are constantly collaborating and co-operating, yet somehow we forget, we deny, we ignore it.  What a terrible falsehood, and where is it leading us in our isolation and in our denial?

6 comments:

michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michael said...

Drogi Panie Jones

Niech Pan szybko wraca do zdrowia bo świat potrzebuje takich ludzi jak Pan, życze Panu sił na wygranie z tą chorobą i wierze, że da Pan rade.Pisze po polsku, może Pan tego nie zrozumieć, jednak angielski czy polski to nieważne. Język ludzkich uczuć i tak jest tylko jeden...



Michael

Anonymous said...

Hope your recovery is speedy Gareth. I've always really admired your work and hope that you'll be back up and running in no time. I wish you all the best.

Jonna

SUBWAYCOLLECTIVE

Seán said...

You might be interested in reading Oliver James' most recent works Affluenza and The Selfish Capitalist. In the former James adumbrates the theory - apparently incontrovertible according to the evidence he presents - that the English-speaking democracies of the West present rates of mental illness far higher than either our neighbours in Europe or those countries we traditionally associate with much poorer standards of living. This 'selfish capitalism' is examined in more depth in his latest book.

None of this is to tether my hobby horse to your blogpost, but rather that the personal really is political. Something's gone terribly wrong, and we're clearly living in a sick society.

Anonymous said...

Gareth, unfortunately, I think many people go their entire lives without appreciating the interconnectedness of practically all members of human society. Einstein himself said much the same thing as you did:

"A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer lives are based on the labors of other people, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I haver received and am still receiving."

Gareth Jones said...

Thanks everyone!